About Me

My photo
I am a teddy bear artist by profession. I also play rhythm guitar with a local bluegrass band on weekends that I am not off to teddy bear shows. I have a very funny papillon named PJ. He is 10 years old and he keeps me mobile by making me take him walking every day. I love antiquing and use many of my finds for my teddy bears. I am just starting to do mixed media artwork and collage. You can find some of my things my website:www.marthasbears.com

Thursday, October 20, 2011

recipe for Mexican Lasagna

1 pkg no boil lasagna noodles 
1 pound lean ground beef (skip this if you want a veggie version and add on more can of beans)
 -- 1 - 12 oz can of mexicorn, 1 - 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 small can of chopped green chilies, one can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed (2 if  you want meatless) 1 12oz can of green tamale sauce, one 12oz can of red tamale sauce, 1/2 pkg of taco seasoning mix for browning meat (I like Old El Paso)  1 - 12oz jar of taco sauce -- check to see the "heat" level on the cans of sauces and use the one you like best.  1 tsp ground cumin (or to taste) 2 tsp chili powder (or to taste) and I always put a little fresh cilantro in -- 2 pkgs of your favorite shredded cheese (chedder, jack, mexi mix)  - sour cream if you like it.

First brown the meat, with the taco seasoning mix - if you like onion, brown that now too.  If meatless - skip this part.
combine all ingredients with the meat except the noodles. Heat till it's hot and simmer for 10 or 15 min to blend the flavors.

while that is simmering line the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish with one layer of the no-boil noodles
Then using a ladle, layer in about 14 of the sauce mix and sprinkle with cheese
Add another layer of noodles going the other way (break them to fill in the gaps) add another layer of sauce and cheese. 
Another layer of noodles - sauce and cheese  and a final layer of noodles, sauce and cheese
Cover with foil and bake for 40 min to an hour until everything is bubbly hot
Serve with lettuce, sour cream and extra cheese

I did not say that this was a diet friendly item, but a small portion is pleanty and it is better the 2nd day (it freezes well too)






No comments: